– 4 large russet potatoes
– 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
– 4 cloves of roasted garlic*
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1/4 cup whole milk
– Salt, to taste
– Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
– Optional garnish: chopped fresh chives or parsley
*To roast garlic cloves, preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut off the top 1/4 inch of a full head of garlic to expose the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil, wrap it loosely in aluminum foil, and place it in the oven for about 40 minutes. The cloves should be soft and golden when done.
1. Begin by peeling and cutting the russet potatoes into even-sized chunks. This will ensure even cooking and ensure that your final result is mashed to perfection.
2. Fill a large pot with water, add a pinch of salt, and bring it to a boil. Carefully add the potato chunks and let them cook until fork-tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, retrieve your roasted garlic cloves. Peel off their papery skin and mash them into a smooth paste using the back of a fork. Set the garlic paste aside.
4. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them thoroughly and return them to the pot. Using a potato masher or a fork, begin mashing the potatoes until there are no large lumps remaining.
5. Next, add the Greek yogurt, roasted garlic paste, unsalted butter, and whole milk to the pot. Continue to mash and stir until all the ingredients are well combined and the mashed potatoes are creamy.
6. Season the mashed potatoes with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
7. For a final touch, garnish with a sprinkle of fresh chives or parsley to add a pop of color and freshness.
Serve these delightful mashed potatoes as a comforting side dish, or let them steal the show at your next gathering. They pair beautifully with roasted meats, grilled vegetables, or a simple green salad.
1. For a hint of smokiness, try substituting roasted garlic with smoked paprika.
2. Experiment with other herbs and spices to customize the flavor profile. Thyme, rosemary, or even a dash of cayenne pepper can add an exciting twist.
Mashed potatoes with Greek yogurt and roasted garlic are a true comfort food masterpiece. This nutritious twist on a classic favorite beautifully balances flavors and textures, making it a perfect addition to any occasion. So, dive in and savor these creamy mashed potatoes while immersing yourself in the flavors of the past and creating new memories to cherish.