– 2 pounds of chicken wings, separated into drumettes and flats
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– Vegetable oil, for frying
– ½ cup Frank’s RedHot Sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
– ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
– 1 teaspoon vinegar (optional, adds tanginess)
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping
– Celery sticks, for serving
1. Start by preheating your oven to 200°C (400°F) to keep the wings warm while you prepare the Buffalo sauce.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix well to evenly distribute the seasonings. This coating will give the wings a crispy texture once fried.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a deep pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. You’ll want enough oil to fully submerge the wings, so add at least 2 inches of oil.
4. Coat each chicken wing piece with the seasoned flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Place them on a wire rack while you continue breading the remaining wings. This step ensures a crispy, even coating.
5. Carefully lower a few wings at a time into the hot oil and fry for about 8-10 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Cooking in batches will prevent overcrowding the pan and yield deliciously crispy results.
6. Remove the wings from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
7. While your lovely wings hang out in the oven, let’s prepare the Buffalo sauce. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the melted butter and hot sauce, stirring until well blended. For an extra tangy kick, add a teaspoon of vinegar.
8. Take the wings out of the warm oven and toss them generously in the Buffalo sauce until evenly coated. The wings will absorb the zesty sauce, retaining their crisp texture and delivering an explosion of flavor.
9. Serve your Buffalo Chicken Wings hot, accompanied by cool and creamy blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping. Don’t forget to add some refreshing celery sticks to balance the heat and provide a satisfying crunch.
Tips and Variations:
– For a milder version, reduce the amount of hot sauce and increase the butter accordingly.
– Craving a spicier kick? Add a dash of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the Buffalo sauce mixture.
– If you prefer a healthier alternative, you can bake the wings instead of frying them. Arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, lightly brush with oil, and bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) for approximately 40-45 minutes, turning once halfway through.
– Feel free to experiment with different dipping sauces like tangy BBQ or honey mustard to enhance the flavor of your wings.
So, next time you gather with friends for a momentous occasion or simply want to indulge in some comfort food, embrace the legacy of Buffalo Chicken Wings. Crispy, juicy, and drenched in zesty buffalo sauce, they’ll bring joy and a touch of nostalgia to every bite. Enjoy!