A Heartwarming Start to the Day – Plant Based Pancakes
As the leaves started to change color and a gentle breeze swept through the kitchen window, I found myself craving the comforting embrace of pancakes. But this time, I was determined to create a version that would not only satisfy my taste buds but also align with my plant-based lifestyle. And thus, my journey to perfecting the art of plant-based pancakes began.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups plant-based milk (such as almond or oat milk)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil (plus additional for cooking)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Ensure that all the dry ingredients are well combined.
- Step 2: Create a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the plant-based milk, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Use a spoon or whisk to gently mix everything together until you have a smooth, lump-free batter. Avoid overmixing, as this can result in dense pancakes.
- Step 3: Heat a non-stick pan or griddle over medium heat and lightly grease it with coconut oil.
- Step 4: Using a ladle or measuring cup, pour approximately 1/4 cup of the batter onto the preheated pan for each pancake. Cook until bubbles form on the surface, then carefully flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Step 5: Continue cooking the remaining batter in batches, adding more coconut oil to the pan as needed. This recipe should make around 8-10 pancakes, depending on the size.
- Step 6: Serve the warm and fluffy pancakes with your favorite toppings. Fresh berries, sliced bananas, a drizzle of maple syrup, or a dollop of plant-based yogurt make delightful accompaniments. Enjoy!
If you’re feeling adventurous and want to add more flavor and texture to your pancakes, here are a few variations you can try:
- Berry Bliss: Gently fold in a handful of fresh or frozen berries into the batter before cooking the pancakes. Blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries work wonderfully.
- Cinnamon Delight: Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients for a warm and cozy twist.
- Choco-Chip Treat: Stir in a handful of dairy-free chocolate chips into the batter for a decadent treat that will make any chocoholic’s heart sing.