- 1 cup cooked quinoa (cooled)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
Set your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a muffin tin with paper liners. Let’s get the baking magic started!
In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Take a moment to breathe in the captivating aroma of the lemon zest—this will add a refreshing zing to our muffins.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. This liquid melody will bring all the flavors together to create a symphony in your mouth.
Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture. Gently fold the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are perfectly fine. We’re aiming for tender, moist muffins here.
It’s time to add nature’s precious jewels—blueberries! Gently fold in the fresh blueberries into the batter. Their vibrant hues peeking through the golden muffins will be a feast for your eyes.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4 full. Now, the countdown to fluffy goodness begins!
Slide the muffin tin into the preheated oven and bake for around 18-20 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. While they bake, your kitchen will be enveloped in a mouthwatering aroma that will have you eagerly awaiting their heavenly taste.
Once baked to perfection, remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. It’s a test of willpower, resisting the temptation to dig in right away!
For an extra burst of lemony goodness, combine 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice with 1/4 cup powdered sugar and drizzle it over the cooled muffins. The tangy sweetness will elevate these muffins to another level.
- Feeling adventurous? Swap out the blueberries for other berries like raspberries or blackberries. The choice is yours!
- To enhance the nuttiness, you can add a 1/4 cup of chopped almonds or walnuts to the batter.
- For a gluten-free option, replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
- If you prefer a vegan alternative, substitute the eggs with flaxseed eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water per egg). Replace the buttermilk with your favorite non-dairy milk, like almond or coconut milk. Coconut oil can be used instead of vegetable oil.
Baking these Lemon Blueberry Quinoa Muffins is like embarking on a gastronomic adventure where each bite tells a story and brings joy to your palate. Whether you enjoy them as a quick breakfast on busy mornings or as a delightful afternoon treat, these muffins will undeniably become a cherished addition to your recipe repertoire. So, grab your apron and get ready to savor the delightful combination of zesty lemon, luscious blueberries, and the nutritional wonders of quinoa. Happy baking!