For the No-Roll Buttery Crust:
– 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup almond flour
– 1/4 cup powdered sugar
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cinnamon Walnut Apple Filling:
– 4 medium-sized tart apples (such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp)
– 1/4 cup granulated sugar
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preparing the No-Roll Buttery Crust:
– In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free all-purpose flour, almond flour, powdered sugar, and salt. Whisk together until well incorporated.
– Add the chilled butter cubes to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or your fingertips, gently cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
– Add the vanilla extract and continue to mix until the dough starts to come together.
– Press the dough evenly onto the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan, ensuring it is well-distributed and compact. Use the back of a measuring cup to help smooth and even out the crust.
– Place the crust in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preparing the Cinnamon Walnut Apple Filling:
– Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and position the oven rack in the middle.
– Peel, core, and thinly slice the tart apples. Place the sliced apples in a large mixing bowl.
– In a separate small bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, cornstarch, and ground cinnamon until well combined.
– Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the sliced apples, ensuring they are evenly coated. Gently toss the apples to distribute the mixture.
– Sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the coated apples and gently toss once more.
3. Assembling and Baking the Tart:
– Remove the chilled crust from the refrigerator and evenly distribute the apple and walnut filling onto the prepared crust, forming a decorative pattern if desired.
– Place the tart pan on a baking sheet to catch any drips during baking.
– Bake the tart in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown, and the apples are tender and slightly caramelized.
– Remove the tart from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
4. Serving and Variations:
– This Cinnamon Walnut Apple Tart is delightful on its own, but you can take it to another level by serving it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
– For a variation, consider adding a sprinkling of nutmeg or a handful of raisins to the filling. You can also experiment with using different varieties of apples for unique flavors and textures.
– To make it extra festive, drizzle the tart with a simple glaze made from icing sugar and a splash of milk, or sprinkle it with a touch of powdered sugar before serving.
This Cinnamon Walnut Apple Tart is an embodiment of warmth, love, and the spirit of the holiday season. It’s a dessert that wraps you in a comforting embrace with every bite, leaving behind an irresistible blend of flavors and memories. So, gather your loved ones, and indulge in this slice of heaven that is sure to become a timeless tradition. Happy holiday baking!