Image: Empanada Shells
1. Preparing the empanada shells:
– In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the chilled butter cubes and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
– Slowly drizzle in the cold water while mixing the dough with a fork until it comes together. Avoid over-mixing.
– Transfer the dough onto a clean, lightly floured surface and knead gently until it forms a smooth ball. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preparing the filling:
– In a bowl, whisk the eggs until well beaten. Season with salt and pepper.
– In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove from the skillet and pat dry with a paper towel. Crumble the bacon into small pieces.
– Using the same skillet, pour in the beaten eggs and cook, stirring gently, until they are soft and fluffy. Remove from heat and let them cool slightly.
– Once the scrambled eggs have cooled, mix in the crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Set aside.
3. Assembling the empanadas:
– Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
– Take the chilled dough out of the refrigerator and divide it into 10 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
– On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball into a circle, approximately 6 inches in diameter.
– Place a generous spoonful of the scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese filling onto one half of each dough circle, leaving a small border to allow for sealing.
– Gently fold the other half of the dough circle over the filling, creating a half-moon shape. Seal the edges by pressing with a fork or by crimping with your fingers.
– Place the empanadas on the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with beaten egg for a golden crust.
4. Baking the empanadas:
– Bake the empanadas in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the shells turn golden brown and crispy.
– Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving.
Tips and Variations:
– Get creative with the filling by adding diced vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms for added texture and flavor.
– For a spicy kick, include a finely chopped jalapeño or a sprinkle of chili flakes to the filling.
– Serve the empanadas with a refreshing side salad, salsa, or your favorite hot sauce for an extra burst of flavor.
These flaky empanada shells with fluffy scrambled eggs, crisp bacon, and tangy cheddar cheese offer a delightful twist on a classic dish. With each bite, you’ll be transported to a place where history and flavor merge. This recipe exemplifies the beauty of fusion cuisine, reminding us that culinary exploration knows no bounds. So gather your loved ones and savor the deliciousness that these empanadas bring; their story of tradition and reinvention awaits!