– 4 to 6 meatballs (leftovers or frozen meatballs)
– 4 to 6 hero/sub rolls or baguettes
– 1 cup of marinara sauce (homemade or store-bought)
– 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
– 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
– 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil (optional)
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. If you’re using leftover meatballs, gently warm them in a skillet over medium heat with a splash of marinara sauce. If you’re using frozen meatballs, follow the package instructions to cook or heat them.
3. While the meatballs are warming, slice the sub rolls or baguettes lengthwise, without cutting all the way through. This will create a pocket to hold the meatballs.
4. Spread a generous amount of marinara sauce on one side of each roll or baguette, reserving some for later.
5. Place 1 to 2 meatballs inside each roll, depending on the size of the meatballs and the rolls.
6. If desired, sprinkle the meatballs with salt and pepper to enhance the flavors.
7. Top the meatballs with additional marinara sauce, ensuring they are well covered.
8. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce, followed by the grated Parmesan cheese.
9. Place the prepared Meatball Subs on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to golden.
10. While the subs are baking, feel free to toast them further under the broiler for a couple of minutes if you prefer a crustier bread.
11. Once the subs are out of the oven, sprinkle them with fresh basil for an extra touch of freshness and aroma.
And voila! Your Meatball Subs are now ready to be savored. The combination of the juicy meatballs, tangy marinara sauce, and melty cheese, all nestled within a warm, crusty roll, is pure comfort in every bite.
Here are a few tips and suggestions to customize your Meatball Sub experience:
– Try using different types of meatballs, such as beef, pork, or a combination of both, to add unique flavors to your sub. You can also experiment with meatball seasonings, adding herbs and spices like garlic, oregano, or even a pinch of red pepper flakes for some heat.
– If you’re feeling adventurous, consider adding some sautéed onions or bell peppers to your sub for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
– Don’t be afraid to get creative with the cheese! While mozzarella and Parmesan are the traditional choices, you can try using provolone, Fontina, or even a sprinkle of blue cheese to add a twist to your Meatball Sub.
– For a lighter option, you can also use lettuce wraps or whole grain rolls to make a healthier version of this indulgent sandwich.
So go ahead and indulge in the comforting deliciousness of a Meatball Sub. Whether you have some leftover meatballs or keep frozen ones on hand, this recipe is the perfect go-to for a quick and satisfying meal that will surely please everyone at the table. Enjoy!