– 12 large sea scallops
– Salt and black pepper to taste
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
– For the Citrus Beurre Blanc:
– 1/2 cup dry white wine
– 1/4 cup freshly squeezed citrus juice (such as orange, lemon, or a combination)
– 1 shallot, minced
– 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
– Salt and white pepper to taste
– Zest of citrus fruit for garnish (optional)
1. Patience is key:
Before you start cooking, ensure that your scallops are well dry. This will ensure a beautiful sear. Gently blot them with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
2. Prepare the Citrus Beurre Blanc:
– In a small saucepan, combine the white wine, citrus juice, and minced shallot over medium heat. Let it simmer until the liquid reduces by half, bringing out those wonderful flavors. This usually takes about 5-6 minutes.
– Reduce the heat to low and start adding the cold butter cubes, one at a time, while whisking continuously. This will create a luscious, velvety sauce.
– Once all the butter has melted, season with salt and white pepper to taste. Set aside and keep warm.
3. Searing the scallops:
– Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Allow the butter to melt and the skillet to become hot, but not smoking.
– Season both sides of the scallops with salt and black pepper. Place the scallops flat in the pan and make sure they have enough space between them to sear properly.
– Leave the scallops untouched for about 2-3 minutes. You’ll know they are ready to flip when a beautiful golden crust has developed. Carefully turn them over using tongs or a spatula, and sear for another 2-3 minutes.
– Once seared to perfection, remove the scallops from the skillet and let them rest on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
4. Plating perfection:
– Arrange the seared scallops on a serving platter or individual plates, allowing their natural beauty to shine through.
– Give your Citrus Beurre Blanc sauce a gentle whisk to revive its velvety texture and flavor. Drizzle it generously over the seared scallops.
– To add an exquisite touch, zest some citrus fruit on top of the scallops for an extra burst of aroma and color.
Tips and Variations:
– To ensure a gorgeous golden crust, make sure the scallops are dry before searing. Moisture on the surface can prevent a good sear.
– Don’t overcrowd the skillet. Cook the scallops in batches if necessary to ensure they have ample space to brown evenly.
– Experiment with different combinations of citrus fruits, such as blood orange or grapefruit, to create your own unique twist on the Citrus Beurre Blanc.
– For a little extra indulgence, consider adding a splash of white wine or a touch of freshly chopped herbs to the sauce.
Seared Scallops with Citrus Beurre Blanc is a dish that combines the sophistication of perfectly cooked scallops with the tantalizing brightness of citrus. Each bite takes you on a culinary journey, evoking memories of coastal escapes and sunny days. So, next time you’re in the mood for a taste of the sea, lose yourself in the magic of this exquisite dish. Bon appétit!