- 1 pound of large, sustainable shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning (adjust according to your spice preferences)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bamboo or metal skewers
Step 1 – Prepare the Shrimp:
In a non-reactive bowl, combine the lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil, Cajun seasoning, and black pepper. Stir well to blend the flavors into a tantalizing marinade. Add the peeled and deveined shrimp, ensuring each one is coated thoroughly. Let the shrimp marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, allowing the flavors to meld and penetrate the succulent meat.
Step 2 – Prepare the Grill:
While the shrimp are marinating, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for 20 minutes to prevent burning. This step ensures the shrimp cook evenly and allows for easy turning on the grill.
Step 3 – Skewer and Grill:
Once the shrimp are done marinating, remove them from the bowl and carefully skewer them, taking care not to overcrowd the skewers. Remember, spaced-out shrimp ensures even cooking. Reserve any remaining marinade for basting later.
Place the shrimp skewers on the preheated grill, directly over the flame. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side, or until the shrimp turn beautifully pink and develop a slight char. Baste the shrimp occasionally with the reserved marinade, brushing each side for an added burst of flavor.
Step 4 – Savor the Delight:
Once the shrimp skewers are cooked to perfection, remove them from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes, allowing the juices to redistribute. Serve them immediately as a standalone dish, a delightful addition to any summer gathering or as a tantalizing topping for salads or tacos.
Tips and Variations:
- For a smoky twist, consider adding a touch of smoked paprika or chipotle powder to the marinade.
- Experiment with different citrus flavors by substituting lime or orange juice for the lemon juice. Each fruit will impart a distinct tangy note.
- Elevate your dish by adding a sprinkle of finely chopped fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley just before serving.
- Embrace your creative side by grilling some diced bell peppers, red onions, or cherry tomatoes alongside the shrimp to add colorful accents to your skewers.
Cooking is an adventure, and with this Grilled Shrimp Skewers recipe, you embark on a journey infused with zesty flavors and warm memories. Let the aromas and tastes transport you to sandy shores, where cherished moments are created, one succulent bite at a time.