Have you ever had a dish that instantly transported you back to a special time or place? A dish that carried with it the flavors of tradition and the warmth of cherished memories? For me, Green chili chicken enchiladas are that dish. These enchiladas hold a special place in my heart, reminding me of lazy Sunday afternoons spent cooking with my grandmother in her cozy kitchen. The aroma of roasted green chilies and tender chicken filled the air as we lovingly crafted these flavorful delights.
Originating from the vibrant culinary landscape of New Mexico, Green chili chicken enchiladas are a true gastronomic gem. They reflect the fusion of Spanish, Native American, and Mexican flavors that define the region’s cuisine. Every bite is an explosion of flavors, with the subtle heat of the green chilies perfectly complementing the succulent chicken and creamy cheese.
– 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
– 12 corn tortillas
– 1 cup roasted green chilies, peeled and chopped
– 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
– 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
– 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 2 cups chicken broth
– 1 cup sour cream
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Preparing the Filling
– Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until fragrant and translucent.
– Add the shredded chicken, roasted green chilies, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir well to combine and cook for an additional 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. Set aside.
Step 2: Preparing the Sauce
– In a separate saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Stir in the all-purpose flour and cook for about 1 minute to remove any raw flour taste.
– Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, ensuring there are no lumps. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
– Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the sour cream until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Assembling the Enchiladas:
Step 3: Softening the Tortillas
– Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Wrap the stack of corn tortillas in aluminum foil and place in the oven for about 10 minutes to soften them. Alternatively, you can heat them lightly on a skillet to make them pliable.
Step 4: Filling and Rolling the Enchiladas
– Take a softened tortilla and spoon a generous amount of the chicken and green chili mixture onto the center. Roll the tortilla tightly and place it seam-side down in a greased baking dish.
– Repeat this process with each tortilla until you’ve filled the baking dish. Pour the sour cream sauce over the enchiladas, ensuring they are evenly coated. Sprinkle the shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses on top.
Step 5: Baking and Serving
– Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the enchiladas are heated through.
– Once out of the oven, let them cool for a few minutes before garnishing with some fresh chopped cilantro and serving hot.
Tips and Variations:
– For a spicier kick, you can add some diced jalapenos or a dash of hot sauce to the filling mixture.
– Instead of chicken, you can use shredded beef or pork as an alternative protein.
– Experiment with different cheeses like pepper jack or queso fresco to add a unique flavor profile.
– Want a vegetarian option? Swap the chicken for sautéed vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, and corn.
As I take my first bite of these Green chili chicken enchiladas, I am instantly transported back to my grandmother’s kitchen, filled with love, laughter, and the joy of a shared meal. This dish holds a special place in my heart, and I hope that through this recipe, it becomes a cherished part of your culinary repertoire as well. The perfect balance of flavors, the rich history behind it, and the memories it evokes make it a meal worth savoring. So gather your loved ones, roll up your sleeves, and embark on a gastronomic journey with these irresistibly delicious enchiladas.
Serving Size 1 enchilada
Servings Per Recipe 12
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 7g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 22g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Vitamin A 11%
Vitamin C 21%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Main Courses > Bringing Back Memories: Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas Recipe