- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup your favorite jam or jelly
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the peanut butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth and well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Using a tablespoon or a cookie scoop, portion out the dough and roll each portion into a ball. Place the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving a few inches of space between each one.
- Create small thumbprints in the center of each cookie by pressing down gently with your thumb. Be careful not to press too hard, as you want to maintain the shape of the cookie.
- Fill each thumbprint with your favorite jam or jelly, ensuring not to overflow the cavity.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Variations:
- For a chunkier texture, use crunchy peanut butter instead of smooth.
- Experiment with different flavors of jelly or jam to create a variety of flavor combinations. Raspberry, strawberry, grape, or even marmalade can all add a unique twist to these cookies.
- For an extra touch of indulgence, drizzle the cooled cookies with melted chocolate or sprinkle some chopped nuts on top before serving.
With each bite of these Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies, you’ll be transported back to those carefree days of childhood. The combination of rich peanut butter and sweet jelly creates a harmonious blend of flavors that will satisfy both your sweet tooth and your sentimentality. So, gather your loved ones, brew a pot of tea or coffee, and enjoy these nostalgic treats.