Butternut Squash Risotto
Risotto is a staple in Italian cuisine, known for its creamy texture and rich flavors. One of my all-time favorite variations is Butternut Squash Risotto. The combination of the sweet and nutty butternut squash with the creamy arborio rice creates a delightful dish that is perfect for any occasion. This recipe holds a special place in my heart as it was passed down to me by my grandmother, who learned it from her grandmother. This dish has been a beloved family recipe for generations, and I am excited to share it with you today.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable broth over medium heat. Keep it warm throughout the cooking process.
- In a separate large pot, heat the olive oil and melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and cook until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the butternut squash cubes to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add the arborio rice to the pot and stir continuously for a few minutes until the rice becomes slightly translucent.
- Pour in the white wine and stir until it is mostly absorbed by the rice.
- Begin adding the warm vegetable broth to the pot, one ladleful at a time. Stir continuously and allow the rice to absorb the broth before adding more. Continue this process for about 20 minutes, until the rice is cooked al dente.
- Once the rice is cooked, add in the dried thyme, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Remove the pot from heat and let it rest with the lid on for a few minutes. This will allow the flavors to meld together and the risotto to become even creamier.
- Give the risotto a final stir before serving. You can garnish with additional Parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, or drizzle with olive oil for added flavor.
This Butternut Squash Risotto is a hearty and comforting dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or served as a delicious side alongside roasted meats or poultry. The creamy texture and vibrant flavors of the butternut squash make it a wonderful addition to any fall or winter menu. This recipe can also be easily customized to suit your taste preferences. Feel free to experiment with different herbs, spices, or even add in some crispy pancetta or sautéed mushrooms to enhance the flavors.
I hope you enjoy making this Butternut Squash Risotto as much as I do. It’s a dish that brings warmth and comfort to the table and is sure to impress your family and friends. Buon appetito!