The Story behind the Harmonious Blend
In the late 19th century, a wave of Mexican immigrants settled in Boston, bringing with them their vibrant culinary traditions. Inspired by their new surroundings, these adventurous cooks gave birth to a unique dish that melded the richness of Mexican seafood with a silky, velvety cream sauce – this was the genesis of Mexican Lobster Tacos with Boston Cream Sauce.
- 1 ½ pounds of fresh lobster meat (cooked and roughly chopped)
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro leaves (roughly chopped)
- 2 limes (cut into wedges)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the Grilled Lobster:
Begin by grilling the lobster meat to enhance its subtle sweetness. Lightly season the lobster chunks with salt and pepper, then place them on a preheated grill over medium heat. Grill for around 2-3 minutes on each side until they achieve a luscious, golden hue. Once cooked, remove the lobster meat from the grill and set aside.
2. Create the Boston Cream Sauce:
In a small saucepan, combine the heavy cream and granulated sugar. Heat over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves and the cream simmers gently. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour a ladle of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking continuously, to temper the eggs. Gradually whisk the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining cream mixture, stirring constantly. Cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Be mindful not to boil the sauce. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Set aside.
3. Assemble the Lobster Tacos:
Lightly warm the flour tortillas in a dry skillet over low heat. Place a generous amount of grilled lobster meat on each tortilla. Drizzle a spoonful of the Boston cream sauce over the lobster, allowing it to cascade decadently onto the tortilla. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro and squeeze a dash of lime juice on top.
4. The Finishing Touch:
Gently fold the tortilla into a taco, ensuring the lobster and sauce are nestled securely inside. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients, creating a tantalizing stack of Mexican Lobster Tacos.
5. Serve and Indulge:
Garnish your creation with a final sprinkle of cilantro leaves and lime wedges on the side. Allow the aroma of the charred lobster, creamy Boston sauce, and zesty lime to mingle enticingly. Take a bite, and savor the harmony of flavors that unite the raw power of the ocean with culinary sophistication.
- For a smoky twist, consider grilling the tortillas for a few seconds per side before assembling the tacos.
- Feel free to experiment with different types of seafood such as shrimp or crab to personalize your tacos.
- Add a kick of spice by incorporating diced jalapeños or a dollop of chipotle mayo.
- Serve these tacos alongside a crisp green salad for a well-rounded meal.
the marriage of Mexican Lobster Tacos with Boston Cream Sauce is a testament to the beauty of culinary exploration and the unifying power of flavors. So next time you crave a taste of the Mexi-Atlantic, I invite you to dive into these vibrantly wrapped treasures that blend together coastlines in perfect harmony. Enjoy!