Rediscovering My Roots: Green Peas Stir Fry
Growing up in a household filled with the enticing aromas of Indian spices, I have always been captivated by the vibrant cuisine that embodies my heritage. Among the many treasured vegetarian dishes, Green Peas Stir Fry holds a special place in my heart. This humble yet flavorsome delight is a celebration of simplicity, and its rich history adds an allure that I cannot resist.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and allow them to sizzle until they start popping. Then, add cumin seeds and let them brown slightly for about 30 seconds.
- Add the finely chopped onion to the skillet and sauté until it turns translucent and golden brown. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Incorporate the minced garlic, grated ginger, and finely chopped green chilies into the skillet. Sauté for 1-2 minutes to release their aromatic flavors.
- Carefully add the green peas to the skillet and mix them well with the onion-ginger-garlic mixture. If using fresh peas, cook for about 5 minutes until they turn tender. For frozen peas, reduce the cooking time to 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and coriander powder over the peas, alongside a generous amount of salt according to your taste preference. Stir all the ingredients together gently to coat the peas with the aromatic spices.
- Cook the green peas for another 2-3 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. However, remember not to overcook them to retain their vibrant color and slight crunch.
- Once the green peas are cooked to perfection, turn off the heat and transfer the stir-fry to a serving dish. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, elevating both the visual appeal and flavor.
Tips and Variations:
- For an added burst of flavors, you can experiment by adding a dash of lemon juice or a sprinkle of roasted cumin powder before serving.
- If you prefer a milder heat, remove the seeds from the green chilies or reduce the quantity according to your taste.
- To give a delightful twist to this classic recipe, you can sauté some diced potatoes along with the peas. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure the potatoes are perfectly cooked and tender.
Green peas stir fry is an embodiment of centuries-old Indian cuisine, showcasing how simplicity and a blend of aromatic spices can create a delightful dish loved by all. This recipe holds a special place in my heart, reminding me of the comfort and memories of my upbringing. With its fragrant aroma and vibrant colors, it is a versatile vegetarian delight that beautifully complements Indian bread or rice, bringing joy to any table it graces. So, let these humble green peas transport you to a place where tradition meets innovation, and simplicity dances with profound flavors.