Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with Mango Salsa – A Tropical Escape
Imagine being transported to the picturesque beaches of Chile, where the enchanting scent of the ocean mingles with the tropical flavors of ripe mangoes. This Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with Mango Salsa recipe is a homage to the harmonious fusion of flavors that can transport you to a sunny paradise. Inspired by my travels along the Chilean coastline, this dish captures the essence of the sea with succulent sea bass, while the vibrant mango salsa adds a burst of sunshine to every bite.
For the Grilled Chilean Sea Bass:
- 4 Chilean sea bass fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges, for serving
For the Mango Salsa:
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped (optional for spice lovers)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt, to taste
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Meanwhile, pat the Chilean sea bass fillets dry with a paper towel, allowing them to come to room temperature. Prepare the mango salsa by combining the diced mangoes, red bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno pepper (if using), fresh cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl. Stir well to combine and set aside to allow the flavors to meld together.
2. Drizzle the Chilean sea bass fillets with olive oil and season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper on both sides. The delicate flavor of the sea bass shines when infused with the simplicity of these seasonings.
3. Lightly oil the grill grates to prevent sticking. Gently place the seasoned sea bass fillets on the preheated grill, skin side down, and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and has beautiful grill marks. Carefully flip the fillets using a spatula and grill for another 3 minutes or until the flesh turns opaque and starts to flake easily.
4. Remove the grilled sea bass from the heat and allow it to rest for a few minutes while covered with foil. This will ensure the juices redistribute throughout the fish, making each bite even more succulent.
5. Serve the Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with a generous spoonful of the mango salsa on top, alongside a squeeze of lime for an extra burst of citrusy goodness. The marriage of the buttery sea bass with the bright, refreshing flavors of the mango salsa is true paradise on a plate.
Tips and Variations:
- If Chilean sea bass is not available, feel free to substitute it with other white fish, such as halibut or cod.
- For an extra burst of flavor, marinate the sea bass fillets in a mixture of olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and your favorite herbs for about 30 minutes before grilling.
- If you prefer a smoky flavor, try grilling the sea bass over charcoal instead of a gas grill. The slightly charred aroma complements the tropical flavors of the mango salsa remarkably well.
- Add a touch of heat to your mango salsa by leaving some of the jalapeno seeds intact or drizzling it with a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce.
- Serve this dish alongside a bed of fluffy coconut rice or grilled vegetables for a complete meal that truly embraces the flavors of Chile.
This Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with Mango Salsa recipe allows you to embark on a culinary journey to the quaint shores of Chile, even if it’s just in your own kitchen. The combination of the perfectly grilled sea bass and the vibrant mango salsa creates a harmony of flavors that dance on your taste buds. So, invite your loved ones over, ignite your culinary senses, and indulge in the tropical escapism that this dish offers. Bon appétit!