– 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
– 1 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
– Fresh sage leaves
– 2 tablespoons butter
1. Begin by preheating your oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Place the butternut squash chunks on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat the squash evenly. Roast in the preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until the squash is fork-tender and caramelized around the edges. This roasting process enhances the sweetness and depth of flavor in the squash.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, sautéing until translucent and fragrant. The aroma will begin to fill your kitchen, promising the comforting dish that awaits.
4. When the butternut squash is ready, transfer it directly to the pot with the sautéed onions and garlic. Stir in the ground ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg, allowing the spices to mingle and infuse the squash with warmth.
5. Slowly pour in the vegetable or chicken broth, ensuring it covers the butternut squash. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together harmoniously.
6. While the soup simmers, we can turn our attention to the crispy sage leaves. In a small skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the sage leaves, cooking them until they become crispy and the edges turn golden brown. This simple step adds a delightful crunchy texture and earthy undertones to our soup.
7. Once the soup has simmered to perfection, remove it from the heat. Use an immersion blender or carefully transfer the soup to a blender or food processor to purée until silky smooth. If desired, add a touch of cream for added richness and indulgence.
8. Return the soup to the stove, reheating gently over low heat. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper according to taste, ensuring the balance of flavors is just right.
9. Ladle the luxurious butternut squash soup into bowls, and garnish each serving with a handful of crispy sage leaves. The fragrant aroma of the sage will dance playfully with the sweet and earthy notes of the soup, elevating each spoonful into sheer delight.
Tips and Variations:
– For a vegan version, substitute vegetable broth and omit the heavy cream. The natural creaminess of the roasted butternut squash will still shine through.
– Consider adding a touch of sweetness by drizzling maple syrup or honey on top of each bowl before serving.
– Experiment with other seasonings, such as cumin or smoked paprika, for a unique twist on the traditional flavor profile.
– If you prefer a chunkier soup, reserve a few roasted butternut squash chunks before puréeing and stir them back into the soup before serving.
This recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Crispy Sage Leaves holds a special place in my heart, a reminder of joyful evenings and familial connections forged through food. Let the tender butternut squash, fragrant spices, and crispy sage leaves warm your soul as they have warmed mine. Indulge in this autumnal delight and create your own cherished memories around the table. Bon appétit!